[Home] [Weblog] [The Bibliothecary] [Driving the Quill] [Library][Bookmarks]

Monday, January 1, 2007

Booklist 2007

So many of the litblogs I visit present a list of books the blogger has read during the year, so I've decided to follow along this year. I'll mention them here, and tally them in the sidebar. I don't set myself any specific goal, but keeping a list of the books I read was something that I used to do, and for some reason I stopped doing it a few years back. I think my best year for reading I managed over one book per week. I don't expect the same results now. One of the necessary acts of devotion for a reader ought to be keeping such a list, and so this blog offers me a good reason to do it and keep up with it.

The first book of the new year is The Jesus Papers, by Michael Baigent. Way back when he was one of the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail which presented in full the theory that The Da Vinci Code suggests: Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene, and with her he fathered a child.

The Jesus Papers puts us on the trail of evidence which suggests Jesus was still alive in A.D. 45, and ends with possible proof of the fatherhood theory. The presentation is wide-ranging, and there is a lot of background that sets up the premise, as well as anecdotal evidence of the suppression of information over thousands of years. Even if one believes Baigent's theories are hogwash, one would do well to acknowledge and accept the possibility that there are truths that never made it into the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the Koran.

I give it three (out of four) pipefuls.

No comments:

Post a Comment